According to its current owners, Newport Beach’s most famous landmark, the historic Balboa Pavilion, is one of California's last surviving examples of the great waterfront recreational pavilions from the turn of the century. Established 100 years ago in 1906 by the Newport Bay Investment Company, the Pavilion played a prominent role in the development of Newport Beach as a seaside recreation area. In 1906, it became the southern terminus for the Pacific Electric Railway connecting the beach with downtown Los Angeles. The Pavilion has since then housed approximately twenty-eight types of activities. Notable examples include a post office, art museum, bowling alley, gambling establishment, speed boat rides and a host of other marine recreational activities.